Fact sheet: Access To IT Planning, Hardware And Software, Training
And Technical Support
This element of the IM/IT Joint Table strategy will help voluntary
organizations introduce, acquire and expand on the technology they need,
and integrate it effectively and sustainably into their operations.
These activities include:
- planning and budgeting for the introduction and maintenance of new
- acquiring and upgrading of technology;
- training of management, staff and boards; and
- technical support.
This recommendation works in conjunction with community-based information
and communications technology networks across the country. It also builds
on existing infrastructure that the federal government, provincial governments
and voluntary organizations have put in place through programs such
as VolNet and the Community Access Program, and other governmental initiatives
related to technology and the voluntary sector.
Work of the IM/IT Joint Table
The IM/IT Joint Table proceeded in its work through:
Expected Benefits of the Recommendation
- research of current community technology networks, best practices
and possible "virtual technology store" designs;
- study of past and current programs such as VolNet, Community Access
Program and the Student Connection Program on which initiatives can
be built or based;
- inquiry into procurement arrangements with existing major suppliers
like Apple, IBM, Hewlett-Packard and Compaq; and
- exploration into working with Canada Volunteerism Initiative to
By providing access to IT planning, hardware and software, training
and technical support, this recommendation maximizes the effectiveness
of IM/IT investment and moves sector organizations closer to matching
private and public sector technology use.
For more information, contact the IM/IT Secretariat at (613) 990-7233
or e-mail: email@example.com