search
Français |  Home |  What's New |  Sitemap
   

This site uses PDF files. Adobe Acrobat Reader software is required for viewing. Click the image to download it now.

 
 
In This Section
Members
Terms of Reference
Workplan
Meeting Minutes

 Print Page

print  Feedback
 

Capacity Joint Table Meeting

February 1, 2001

Participants

Co-chairs

Sol Kasimer, YMCA Canada
Liz Rootham, Human Resources Development Canada

Members

Chantale Blais, Centre d'Action Bénévole de Sept-Îles
IncRoger Boe, Solicitor General Canada
Paddy Bowen, Volunteer Canada
Jackie Claxton, Status of Women Canada
Adriana Davies, Heritage Community Foundation
James Page, Public Service Commission
Barry Schmidl, Prince Edward Island Council of the Disabled
Guy Tanguay, Canadian Association for Health, Physical Education, Recreation and Dance
Bill Tholl, Heart and Stroke Foundation
Karen Wilson, Statistics Canada
Cathy Wright, Saint John Development Council

Ex-officio Members

Michael Hall, Canadian Centre for Philanthropy, NSGVP
Sange De Silva, Statistics Canada, NSGVP
Susan Lewis, United Way of Winnipeg
John Walker, Voluntary Sector Project Office - TBS

Observers

Susan Carter, Voluntary Sector Initiative Secretariat
Barry McKillop, Voluntary Sector Task Force

Guests

Brian Bell, Consultant
Marcel Lauzière
Peter Mills, Voluntary Sector Task Force

Secretariat

Roberta Bustard, HRDC
Hélène Buteau, HRDC
Brenda E. Cameron-Couch, Voluntary Sector Initiatives Secretariat
Huguette LeClerc, HRDC
Debbie Pike, Voluntary Sector Initiatives Secretariat
Lucille Béland, HRDC
Marie Laroche, HRDC

Absent

Suzanne Clément replacement for Tom Ring, Heritage Canada
Mary-Jane Lipkin, Health Canada
Maryanne Murphy, Industry Canada

Record of Decisions

The November 24th Record of Discussion was reviewed and accepted.

The Co-chairs introduced the members of the Secretariat and provided an overview of expectations regarding their roles and responsibilities. The Secretariat team will manage the operation of the Secretariat, provide logistic support for meetings, present options and formulate recommendations for members consideration.

Designated spokespersons presented preliminary work-plans for the six sub-committees:

  • Structural capacity
  • Knowledge
  • Human resources
  • Financial capacity
  • Policy capacity
  • Cross-cutting issues, including the literature review, baseline survey, overall consultation strategy.
Key themes identified during Table discussion follow.

Structural Capacity

  • Identify available resources and tools (banks of resources, virtual organizations, voluntary professional banks, resource networks) rather than creating new ones. Develop strategies to make them more widely accessible.

  • Complements finding of the Broadbent panel that identified basic instruments (manuals and tools) as a top priority to help manage voluntary organizations.

Knowledge Capacity

  • Examine federal and provincial resources and avoid replicating what is done at the provincial level.

  • Look at best practices for succession planning and effective knowledge transfer.

Human Resource Capacity

  • Focus on addressing issues facing paid staff and strategies to promote working in the voluntary sector as a career of choice.

  • Priority areas include: recruitment, retention, fairness, mentoring, compensation and access to corporate and government training.

Policy Capacity

  • Brief presentation of policy internship/academic fellowships proposal, the sub-committee recommended dropping the fellowships part of the initiative, given the limited budget. However, members did not agree. It was reiterated that these are demonstration projects only and the Table wishes to retain the fellowships portion of the initiative.

  • Need for increased receptivity by government to the involvement of the voluntary sector in developing policies that apply to the voluntary sector from a broader societal perspective.

  • Policy capacity should be addressed at all levels, not just at the federal government level.

  • Preferred options for Internships and Academic Fellowships, tools and use of designated budgets for demonstration projects around unique areas were discussed.

Preliminary Report to the Joint Co-ordinating Committee, VSI on Funding for Sector Involvement in Departmental Policy Development (SIDPD)

  • Discussed the shortcomings of the current approval process including the nature of proposals put forward, transparency of the process;

  • Requested list of projects approved for funding under SIDPD first round of intake;

  • Identified the need for a more efficient, transparent, fairer and accountable process and supported the recommendation of using a 1-page summary instead of fully developed proposal; and

  • Discussion on CJT recommendations to JCC concerning eligibility criteria resulted in the commitment to circulate close to final SIDPD document to all CJT members for comment before it is finalised.

Financial Capacity

  • Take a broad perspective in carrying out the work to be done in this area, the breadth and scope of which would be defined through the work done in other areas of the capacity joint table.

  • Identify and address issues (e.g. financial management practices, financial support) from an enabling environment perspective and link closely to the federal government's funding study.

Cross-cutting Issues

In scoping out the work of the CJT, members discussed:

Work-plan Development

  • Need to ensure links to other secretariats to avoid duplication and gaps.

  • Build on what exists, have critical research questions for the baseline survey provided by sub-committees.

  • Need to address areas of synergy and timelines, identify short-term outputs of value and ensure an equitable and transparent process. Suggestions were made to profile funds across 3 phases: ongoing, one-time only and hypothesis testing.

  • Seek out research capability within the VS, timing and costs ($ 4 million) of the work to be done as well as linkages to work done by others including the Satellite Account. Need to ensure that the work be done in an orderly, timely, organized manner and that it move the VSI forward was emphasized.

Baseline Survey

The baseline survey is seen as a means to inform the work of sub-committees by being more targeted and going more in-depth. As part of their preliminary work, each sub-committee was asked to provide priorities for work to cross-cutting issues sub-committee.

Pulling It All Together

The CJT Secretariat will integrate the information from the preliminary work-plans, identify overlaps and begin work that could start immediately. Once the integrated work-plan is developed, sign-off will be obtained from each sub-committee. The need to link the work of the CJT across sub-committees as well as within the overall JCC communication strategy was emphasized.

Closing Remarks

Agreement to bring the integrated work-plan to the April meeting and not expend significant resources until then, with exception of some preliminary work.

Reporting requirements were discussed including the status report to Ministers in June, 2001.

The next meeting of the CJT is scheduled for April 2 and 3, 2001 in Ottawa.

 
 
  
About the VSI | Govt.-Sector Relationship | Funding | Policy | IM-IT | Regulations | Sector Identity
Working & Volunteering | Research | VSI Reports | Contact Us

NSNVO | NSGVP | John Hopkins Project | Satellite Account | Capacity Committee | Reports | Background
Last Updated: 2019-11-15