The Rubber and the Road: A Workbook for Implementing the Codes of
2. Where are you now?
A good starting point for moving forward is to look at where you are
now. Whether you work in the federal government or the voluntary sector,
think about your current working relationships with the other sector
and jot down your answers to the following questions:
- Who do you deal with now and under what circumstances (i.e.,
why? how often? in what format – e.g., face-to-face or telephone,
one-on-one or group meetings?)?
- How would you characterize your relationship (e.g., collaborative,
effective, flexible, frustrating, combative, inconsistent)? Do you think
the people you deal with in the other sector would agree with you?
- How important is this relationship to achieving your work goals?
- What do you value most/least about the relationship?
- Do you know enough about the “other’s” environment
to fully understand their needs?